discuss: Images missing in howtos!

Subject: Images missing in howtos!
From: Lars Strand ####@####.####
Date: 22 Nov 2004 07:56:44 -0000

Earlier this year (in February), I sent an email adressing the missing
images in the html-nochunks HOWTOs found here:

   http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/

I know these html files are for 'mirroring purposes' (the response I
got last time), but they are incomplete without images. My three
howtos all use images to illustrate testbed, functionality etc.
For example:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/8021X-HOWTO.html

vs.

  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/8021X-HOWTO/intro.html

A single html is a great source for howtos; non-pdf viewers have
a way of getting the whole HOWTO in one page (great for printing). But
as they are shown today, they are incomplete. And now with the
soon-to-be-relased search engine to Saqib Ali, which uses the
single-html format, searching for and displaying search result show a
howto without images.

1. Is there any way to include these images in the single html format?

The image path may for example be 'hard-coded'? There is no problem
for me to add an absolute URL to the images - but this cause trouble
when saving the howto locally without internet access. It also require
the 'image-server' to be available at all times (typically tldp.org)
and it would be an increase in traffic to tldp.org since everyone
would ask tldp.org for images.

2. If they are for mirroring purposes only, and mirrored without
images, incomplete howtos are mirrored.

3. If the howtos are distributed without images, isn't that a violation
of the (GNU FDL) licence?

Thanks!

--
Lars Strand