discuss: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal

Subject: Re: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 21 Nov 2004 09:18:35 -0000

--- Miles Brennan ####@####.#### wrote:

> G'day All,
>
> I'm looking at writing a HOWTO over the summer break
> as a uni project.
>
> The initial concept that has been proposed to me is
> a Dedicated Linux
> Server for a complete home / SOHO LAN, using Dynamic
> IPs and DDNS. It
> should be applicable to most basic users that have
> simple ISP broadband
> accounts.
>
> There are already 2 similar documents located at
> TLDP
> ("Home-Network-mini-HOWTO" and "Domain"), however
> they are a few years
> out of date, and don't cover the same content I'm
> proposing.

well. It would be much better if you could contact the
authors and take over maintainance of these docs and
merge them together along with your content. We dont
want to add to the problem of having multiple docs
with similar content confusing the end users

> This document would primarily be based on FC3, but
> I'll keep the
> configuration files/guides generic as possible.

> Here are the basics:
>
>     1.    Modem Configurations (USB and Ether)
>     2.    Network Configs
>     3.    IPTables Concepts
>     4.    Yum / Up2date

please move fedora specific stuff like up2date to the
appendix or rename the howto to state that the content
would be fedora specific

>     5.   Dynamic IP / DDNS
>         -    DDNS Internet Services
>         -    DDNS automation scripts
>     6.   NTP
>         -    ntpd config
>         -    Client Config
>     7.   DHCPD
>     8.    Apache Web Server
>         -    Implement SSL Certs
>         -    URL Write Mod
>         -    Webmail
>         -    Virtual Hosts
>     9.    Sendmail
>         -    Some hardening considerations
>         -    Mail Aliases
>         -    IMAP Mailboxes
>         -    Spamassasin / Clamav
>     10.   BIND
>         -    Internal Config
>         -    External Cached
>     11.    Squid Caching Proxy
>         -    Access Controls
>     12.   SAMBA
>         -    User Accounts
>         -    Network Printing
>         -    Shared Directories
>     13.    Shared Address Books (LDAP)
>     14.    System Backup Scripts
>

> Please let me know your thoughts on the concept, as
> it isn't yet set in
> concrete, and I value your opinions. Somethings may
> be added / dropped.

the content looks pretty reasonable. Take a look at
the existing howtos and make you are presenting
something unique. We can do a better  review of this
document when the content is available

Good luck

regards
Rahul Sundaram