discuss: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal

Subject: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal
From: Miles Brennan ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2004 07:05:01 -0000

G'day All,

I'm looking at writing a HOWTO over the summer break as a uni project.

The initial concept that has been proposed to me is a Dedicated Linux
Server for a complete home / SOHO LAN, using Dynamic IPs and DDNS. It
should be applicable to most basic users that have simple ISP broadband
accounts.

There are already 2 similar documents located at TLDP
("Home-Network-mini-HOWTO" and "Domain"), however they are a few years
out of date, and don't cover the same content I'm proposing.

This document would primarily be based on FC3, but I'll keep the
configuration files/guides generic as possible.

Here are the basics:

    1.    Modem Configurations (USB and Ether)
    2.    Network Configs
    3.    IPTables Concepts
    4.    Yum / Up2date
    5.   Dynamic IP / DDNS
        -    DDNS Internet Services
        -    DDNS automation scripts
    6.   NTP
        -    ntpd config
        -    Client Config
    7.   DHCPD
    8.    Apache Web Server
        -    Implement SSL Certs
        -    URL Write Mod
        -    Webmail
        -    Virtual Hosts
    9.    Sendmail
        -    Some hardening considerations
        -    Mail Aliases
        -    IMAP Mailboxes
        -    Spamassasin / Clamav
    10.   BIND
        -    Internal Config
        -    External Cached
    11.    Squid Caching Proxy
        -    Access Controls
    12.   SAMBA
        -    User Accounts
        -    Network Printing
        -    Shared Directories
    13.    Shared Address Books (LDAP)
    14.    System Backup Scripts

Please let me know your thoughts on the concept, as it isn't yet set in
concrete, and I value your opinions. Somethings may be added / dropped.

Cheers,

Miles Brennan