discuss: Resend: Proposal: iSCSI-Linux HOWTO

Subject: Re: Resend: Proposal: iSCSI-Linux HOWTO
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2004 04:05:02 -0000

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:45:03PM -0000, G Ferguson / LDP wrote:
> Perhaps new documents (after some sort of a "sampling review" as
> David points out) should flow into the system immediately, but are
> marked as 'drafts' until a proper/full review can be accomplished?
> By having the document be a part of the main document collection,
> we can probably get more people to particpate in the review process,
> even if it's done in more of an informal manner.

It's more than just a draft.  If parts of it selected at random are
good, it's likely that the rest of it is good also.  So if we had a
database, it could be marked as having passed a "sampling review".
Since we have a lot of docs that are likely worse (including
out-of-date) than what would pass a "sampling review" I don't think that
such a label (watermark) needs to be added to the final formats (such as
HTML or text).

What about adding it only as docbook/linuxdoc comment?  Also, a form
letter would need to be sent to the author to remind him/her not to
remove this comment (or to add it if it's not already in the author's
copy of the source).  There are other ways to do this too, via a script
that would have to know which docs are in this category and then add the
comment each time an update is submitted.  This comment could contain
other review data, etc. and would contain a title that grep could
uniquely find.  This would constitute a very crude database: metadata in
the form of a source comment.