discuss: Problems with WWW-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Problems with WWW-HOWTO
From: "G Ferguson / LDP" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Oct 2004 14:09:24 -0000

>> There is an old pre Mr. Poet, version of the WWW-HOWTO at:
>>  http://hrast.pef.uni-lj.si/docs/en/www_howto/WWW-HOWTO.html
>> Personally, I like that version of the document, without Mr. Poet's
>> minimal changes which were made to that portion of the -current-
>> document.  The older version contains some interesting historical
>> information, which seems better than the -current- version which is not
>> being maintained by Mr. Poet.
>>
>> Can the current WWW-HOWTO be removed?  Hopefully reverting to a version
>> similar to http://hrast.pef.uni-lj.si/docs/en/www_howto/WWW-HOWTO.html.
>
> I hope so.  I mean putting the old version in "unmaintained".  It seems
> to be obsolete.

Doing a quick web search, I was unable find the SGML source for the earlier
version.  I cannot revert to a previous version without source.

My recommendation is to mark this as archived. When archiving, we include
disclaimer text at the start of the document (in this case, we would indicate it
is severely outdated). We should also add it to the list of unmaintained documents,
as David suggests.

A more drastic measure would be to remove it from the collection
altogether (and add it to the list of unmaintained docs).

Any preference?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Doug (Jensen).

--
Greg Ferguson / LDP volunteer