discuss: Problems with WWW-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Problems with WWW-HOWTO
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 15 Oct 2004 07:20:39 -0000

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 06:04:05PM -0600, doug jensen wrote:
> The current maintainer of the WWW-HOWTO is listed as Mr. Poet.  I was
> looking at the WWW-HOWTO and something seemed out of place, starting
> with section 9 of the document.  Upon further research sections 9-16.1 of
> the WWW-HOWTO are copied from the Intranet-Server-HOWTO, the biggest
> changes being; removing the author (Pramod Karnad), removing the "Copyright
> and License" section, and adding a "Copyright information" section
> attributed to {poet}.  Looking at the CVS, there is only the current
> version of the WWW-HOWTO available, so I don't know how or when the changes
> were made.
>
> Additionally, there are now two licenses within the document; the GNU
> GPL, and an old LDP license.  Plus the complication of the removal of
> the licensing of the Intranet-Server-HOWTO, which was the GNU FDL.
>
> There is an old pre Mr. Poet, version of the WWW-HOWTO at:
>   http://hrast.pef.uni-lj.si/docs/en/www_howto/WWW-HOWTO.html
> Personally, I like that version of the document, without Mr. Poet's
> minimal changes which were made to that portion of the -current-
> document.  The older version contains some interesting historical
> information, which seems better than the -current- version which is not
> being maintained by Mr. Poet.
>
> Can the current WWW-HOWTO be removed?  Hopefully reverting to a version
> similar to http://hrast.pef.uni-lj.si/docs/en/www_howto/WWW-HOWTO.html.

I hope so.  I mean putting the old version in "unmaintained".  It seems
to be obsolete.  I searched it for "certificate" and got nothing.  I
think it is likely wrong when it says that one can't use apache-ssl for
commercial uses.  I think that much (or even most) of the content is
only of historical interest.  I'm not really familiar with web servers
and I've only sampled the WWW-HOWTO but it looks like it's too obsolete
to be of much help to anyone except a historian.  If no one else
responds, I'll contact G. Ferg and ask him to do this.