discuss: Anonymous CVS Access

Subject: Re: Anonymous CVS Access
From: "G Ferguson / LDP" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2004 17:50:18 -0000

>On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 09:13:00AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
>> Pardon my interjection, but:  The original poster wasn't talking about
>> access with ability to update files in the CVS, but rather anonymous
>> access, which is public, read-only access analogous to anonymous ftp.
>
> Ahh, I read it incorrectly, you're right. If there was a change in the
> read-only CVS access, it was not announced.

It was, but that was announced probably 2 years ago.  We turned it off
for security reasons (maybe not quite 2 yrs ago, but quite some time
ago).

anon CVS was available for only a brief period of time.  Web-based
read access is still available (http://cvsview.tldp.org/index.cgi/)

> The problem with using the CVS as the most up-to-date version of a
> document is that it often has articles that are not yet ready for publication
> because they have technical errors in them. My ACPI is a prime example.
> I will often keep a working draft in the CVS in case I lose my local version.
> The working draft is definitely NOT ready to be read by others though.

Perfect :-) ...that's exactly how the LDP CVS repository was meant to be used.

> Perhaps Tille or Greg can post information on how to get the published files
> off the system through whatever techniques the mirrors use?

Mirroring is done on the static HTML-ized versions of the documents (and plain
text and PDF), not source files.  I used to keep updates of the source available
under http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/ but once
we started publishing XML and Docbook SGML, the single-source-file-per-document
model fell apart.  Therefore, I do not advocate using that area to obtain
published *source*.

emma

--
Greg Ferguson / LDP volunteer