discuss: Re: From EndNote to Lyx

Subject: Re: From EndNote to Lyx
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Oct 2004 11:37:18 -0000

Ivan Baldinotti ####@####.#### schrieb am 01.10.04 12:33:58:

> Hi Guys.
> Did you read my howto? I need help. If someone would rewiew it, it can be
> found at this link:
> http://it.f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/ivanbaldinotti/vwp2?.tok=bcv.GGUBQfydQDRK&.dir=/public&.dnm=FromEndnote.zip&.src=bc
> I think that this could be a useful howto in writing scientific works.

Ivan,

I've had a quick read of your document. Two things to note:

1. The language needs some polishing. Grammar is not always correct and typographic conventions are not always followed (is it "gui" or "GUI", "lyx", "Lyx" or "LyX", "latex" or "LaTeX"?). I guess this will be done at a later stage by a native speaker, after technical review has taken place.

2. On the technical part: I have never used EndNote, but I am familiar with RefDB ( http://refdb.sourceforge.net ). From that I know that the standard format for bibliographies (in the Windows world) is RIS. Thus you could use EndNote to export to a file in RIS format, then you could import the RIS file into RefDB (RefDB offers a command for this, so it is straightforward). You could then use the procedure described in

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/lyx-bibliography-with-refdb.html

and

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/explain-bibliography.html

to incorporate the bibliography in a SGML file generated by LyX, with correct style (which can vary according to Journal you are submitting) and cross references - automatically!

I think you should familiarize yourself with this possibility to move bibliographies from EndNote to LyX and include a discussion of its merits (and possible drawbacks) in your work. Feel free to contact me for any details.

--
Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de