discuss: Localization-HOWTO?

Subject: Localization-HOWTO?
From: Edward Cherlin ####@####.####
Date: 30 Sep 2004 17:48:00 -0000

I would like to propose a Localization-HOWTO, and suggest that
the Keyboard-HOWTO be brought up to date with information on
Unicode support.

There are a lot of HOWTOs on setting up one or another language
that is already supported in Linux, but I haven't found one on
how to create and install support for a new language--locale,
keyboard, fonts, and localization.

The first level of support is just to make a keyboard (and fonts,
if the writing system is not already supported) available.

The font-HOWTO http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO/index.html is
fine. There is no difficulty installing Unicode fonts, or fonts
in other supported encodings.

The keyboard-HOWTO is mostly about making minor modifications to
existing keyboard layouts. It does not mention Unicode, and it
does not mention installing keyboards in the system so that
utilities like the KDE keyboard tool can access them.

There is no Locale-HOWTO, explaining what information is needed
to define a locale, what files it goes in in what format, where
to put the files, and so on.

As it happens, the necessary steps are outlined in the document
Providing Karelian Language Support
  for an Educational Linux System
http://www.cs.uku.fi/tutkimus/publications/reports/B-2004-1.pdf
I haven't tested their process to see whether more details are
needed in order for a first-time user to follow it.

The second level of support is to translate all of the text in a
particular application into the target language. This can be
taken to the limit, translating all of the text in an entire
distribution, including UI, error messages, man pages, and so
on. I have written about the variety of such Linux localization
projects at
http://cherlin.blogspot.com/2004_03_01_cherlin_archive.html#localization.
Now I need to explain the process to people who want to add
other languages.

I can do some of this work. Would anybody like to assist me?
--
Edward Cherlin, Simputer Evangelist
Encore Technologies (S) Pte. Ltd.