discuss: How to interpret it?

Subject: Re: How to interpret it?
From: ramana ####@####.####
Date: 11 Sep 2004 03:59:27 -0000

Tor Slettnes wrote:

>Ramana, I think you misunderstood Rahul.  His point was that the
>document itself needs to contain this information (early, upfront), not
>that this list or TLDP as a whole needed to be made aware of it.

I got the point. If I have to explain everything clearly, It is to
overcome pam_mkhomedir
limitations but at the same time broader in scope and with many more
important features.

pam_mkhomedir has following limitations,

1) There are some applications which never need to authenticate users
But they need home dirs -- for example mail servers configured to use
home dirs for mail delivery and storage but not configured to use pam.

2) Some do use other ways to authenticate, bypassing pam all together.

3) Servers must be root so that pam can create home dirs. Otherwise
make /home similar in permissions to /tmp

>The "autodir" concept looks interesting.  I am not sure how it would
>differ very much from using NIS (or NIS+, LDAP...) with "autofs", or
>even locally automounted directories - e.g a "auto.home" map containing
>a single entry:
>   *  localhost:/export/home/&
>

>It is not really always true (as you say in the document) that "adduser"
>creates all home directories inside a single flat /home directory.   You
>may have the file "/etc/adduser.conf" on your system, with options like:
>
>        # The DHOME variable specifies the directory containing users' home
>        # directories.
>        DHOME=/home

It can be /home or /home2 or /home1/home2/... or /xyz.

Anything acceptable as long as flat structure exist with in these base
directories.

Regards
ramana

--