discuss: RPM Builder's Tricks and Traps HOWTO

Subject: Re: RPM Builder's Tricks and Traps HOWTO
From: "Eric S. Raymond" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Sep 2004 23:45:23 -0000

Tor Slettnes ####@####.####
> Hmm.  It is not listed on the "In Progress" page (not under the
> "Documents under Review" section, and even more worrisome, not even on
> the "New Documents and Documents in Progress" section).
>
> The steps, from beginning to end, are:
>   - You propose the document on this list ####@####.####
>
>   - There will be some discussion on the list, regarding
>     redundancies, usefulness, etc...
>
>   - You write (a portion of, or the whole) document.

I did these things.

>   - You send it to ####@####.#### for feedback.
>     It will then be listed in the "Documents in Progress" section

At no point was I told about this step.

>   - Once it is completed, and has had some peer review, you
>     send it to ####@####.#### saying that it is ready
>     for final reviews.
>
>   - A review coordinator (Emma or Tabatha) will locate and assign
>     people to perform the following reviews in order:
>     Technical Accuracy Review
>     Language Review
>     Markup/Metadata Review

In this case, the reviews happened before any coordinator stepped in.
Several listmembers suggested minor corrections and improvements, which
I duly incorporated.

>   - Once your document has passed all these reviews (most likely,
>     that will involve several iterations at each review), your
>     document can be added to the CVS repository and made available
>     for publication.  Emma or Tabatha will update the revision
>     number to 1.0.
>

> The fact that you are ESR and have 11 documents previously admitted to
> the TLDP does not exempt you from this process.

I agree.  However, the process has to be *documented*, and it has to
*work* (that is, converge to a resolution within a reasonable time).
If it's either not documented, or doesn't work, it will have exempted
itself from me.

I have never seen these steps listed before.  I think that may indicate
a problem in the LDP's process, or at least in the way it's explained to
would-be authors.