discuss: RPM Builder's Tricks and Traps HOWTO

Subject: Re: RPM Builder's Tricks and Traps HOWTO
From: "Eric S. Raymond" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Sep 2004 17:47:50 -0000

Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####

> > I am very sure of my language skills.
> >
> > In any case, what's the next step?  Do I just mail
> > it to the submit address?
>
> the process is well documented in the author's guide
> Eric. You need to recieve peer feedback in this list
> and incorporate suggestions. then go thru a language
> as well as technical review before the doc is
> accepted. regardless of how confident you are with
> your skills this is the procedure at present

But, if I understand correctly, these things have already happened.
I'm asking what the *next* step is.  Always, before, I simply emailed my
drafts to the submission address when I thought they were ready. I am
now trying to cooperate with the new submission procedure.

Answers telling me that I have to go through steps I have already gone
through are not helpful.  Nor are procedures that (a) do not have a
well-defined termination point, (b) leave my draft document hanging in
limbo for weeks at a time, and (c) leave me without a clue when or
what the next milestone is.

Before, I didn't follow procedure because I didn't know about it.  But if
there isn't some sort of visible motion from the machinery, I may be
forced to conclude that it is a net loss and begin ignoring it deliberately.

Since I have written more LDP documents than any other single person
(somewhere around ten or eleven last I checked) this is probably not
something anybody wants to have happen.