discuss: Compiling HOWTO, take 3

Subject: Compiling HOWTO, take 3
From: "Diego M. Vadell" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Sep 2004 17:40:20 -0000

Hello,
    I have just uploaded version 0.3 of (hopefully soon to be) compiling howto
in http://compiling.avsnet.com.ar/ .

Changelog:
v0.3: Added an example of ld-linux not finding a library because it's missing
in /etc/ld.so.conf
v0.2: Spellchecking, link to the license. Changed "traduced" to "converted".
Added more instructions in troubleshooting.

Somebody (I accidentally deleted his mail) told me that I had to reconsider
the howto's target. In the abstract, I wrote "How to compile is a very common
question among newbies" , but how newbies? At first, I thought that somebody
who doesn't know how to su root wouldn't bother to try to find out what
compiling is: he/she may be busy getting used to linux, but after that mail I
started to think different. Maybe that kind of procedures (su'ing root,
editing files, etc) are needed. So:
(a) Should I make links to tldp's "Introduction to Linux" Guide?
(b) Should I explain those basic procedures that don't have nothing to do with
compiling?
(c) Should I change the target, and warn the reader what the requirements for
understanding the howto are?

My take is (a) and (c). Comments? Thank you very much.

 -- Diego.

P.S.: somebody asked me for a pdf version. I will do it as soon as I can,
sorry.