discuss: Linuxquestions.org wiki

Subject: Re: Re: Linuxquestions.org wiki
From: ####@####.####
Date: 4 Sep 2004 16:52:24 -0000

> As a posting member of LinuxQuestions and the owner of a HOWTO in TLDP
>                                                     I suggest you take
> this approach.
>
> 1.	Post links to The Linux Document Project or it mirrors. Downloads of
> the complete works are available or you can read individual works on
> line. Whichever the you want to do.
>
> 2.	Cut and paste a selected portion of a HOWTO giving credit to its
> source with a link.
>
> I think I would object if someone changed a copy of it and gain my
> permission, especially if it did not work as intended.
>
> Dave Kelly

We already do link to the TLDP itself and the documents it hosts. What I'm asking for is permission from the document copy-right holders to incorporate documents into our wiki so we can modify them. Under the terms of the Creative Commons variant that we use, we are required to give attribution (which in this case would include a link back to the original document), but the copyright holder can request that the attribution be removed. So if you think we are completely butchering your work (*after* you gave us permission of course!) you could ask that your name be removed from the credits.

I'm planning on asking for permission from the authors, even if their license, on the face of it, looks like we could use it anyway. If you don't want to see your work modified unto the point of unrecognizability, all you have to do is refuse permission. In fact, if any of this is a deal-breaker, let me know, so I can take your documents of my list of people to talk to.