discuss: Re: Latest version of Coffee Making HOWTO

Subject: Re: Latest version of Coffee Making HOWTO
From: Mysid ####@####.####
Date: 16 Aug 2004 19:46:01 -0000

> > this is the latest version of the Coffee HOWTO, renamed after Lawyer's
> > suggestion, as Coffee Making HOWTO. I'd prefer to keep the filename
> > intact as Coffee.sgml so that it overwrites any previous versions.
> > I leave the final choice up to you, but please let me know your thinking.

> While your HOWTO is mostly about how to use Linux to brew coffee (and
> turn on the coffeepot with a command typed on the command line) one
> wouldn't know this from the short title.  Your HOWTO name was used as a
> precedent in an attempt to justify a "Russian-Tea-HOWTO that was little
> related to Linux.  So is it possible to change the name so as to
> indicate that it might be Linux-related?

I think its presence in TLDP implies that it's Linux related, and if
it's unrelated then it should go elsewhere.  Are the Samba howtos all
"Samba on Linux"  should  Joe-Command-Reference be
Joe-For-Linux-Command-Reference, etc?

> Here are some ideas but you may have better ones:
> Making-Coffee-with-Linux-HOWTO, Coffeepot-Control-HOWTO.

> The second problem is more serious.  It's about the license which you
> call: "Copyrights".  Our Manifesto states:
Agreed

> I've just spent about 1 minute looking at it and it seems a lot has been
> added to the HOWTO about the off-topic of making coffee, including

A little offtopic humor might not be totally bad

> humor.  I don't think it's really suitable in it's present form for TLDP
> since it needs to be about a Linux subject.  I think that there is lots

The forwarding to here doesn't include any link to it, so I don't know whether I
agree or not.

> of evidence that coffee is not healthy to drink, especially if it's
> depriving one of sleep.  I'm also teed off that it was claimed that I
> suggested a name change that I didn't.

The message you included in own reply says very well that you did
suggest a name change however.. You have me [for one] totally baffled
here

Coffee may be unhealthy to drink, but I understand that a whole lot of
people will drink it anyway, and if they can somehow use Linux to help
with their coffee brewing,
and they really want to document it...

Well, at the very least it seems like it might be intriguing

--
-Mysid