discuss: Re: Latest version of Coffee Making HOWTO

Subject: Re: Latest version of Coffee Making HOWTO
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 16 Aug 2004 16:31:06 -0000

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 12:27:27PM +0200, Fotis Georgatos wrote:

> Dear tldp people,
>
> this is the latest version of the Coffee HOWTO, renamed after Lawyer's
> suggestion, as Coffee Making HOWTO. I'd prefer to keep the filename
> intact as Coffee.sgml so that it overwrites any previous versions.
> I leave the final choice up to you, but please let me know your thinking.

-  L- 29/34: David Lawyer           [staff] Coffee-HOWTO: title and copyright

Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 18:02:45 -0700
From ####@####.#### Sat May 11 18:15:41 2002
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Subject: [staff] Coffee-HOWTO: title and copyright
To: Fontis Gerogatos ####@####.#### Annie Pinder ####@####.####
Cc: ####@####.####

Hi,
Thanks for contributing your HOWTO, but ---.  I'm on the staff mailing
list of LDP and have got a couple of problems with your Coffee-HOWTO.
While your HOWTO is mostly about how to use Linux to brew coffee (and
turn on the coffeepot with a command typed on the command line) one
wouldn't know this from the short title.  Your HOWTO name was used as a
precedent in an attempt to justify a "Russian-Tea-HOWTO that was little
related to Linux.  So is it possible to change the name so as to
indicate that it might be Linux-related?

Here are some ideas but you may have better ones:
Making-Coffee-with-Linux-HOWTO, Coffeepot-Control-HOWTO.

The second problem is more serious.  It's about the license which you
call: "Copyrights".  Our Manifesto states:

5. LICENSE REQUIREMENTS

   Anyone may copy and distribute (sell or give away) LDP documents (or
   other LDP works) in any media and/or format. No fees are required to
   be paid to the authors. It is not required that the documents be
   modifiable, but it is encouraged.

Here's your license that doesn't conform to the above.  You've got to at
least give everyone the right to copy and distribute it.  A lot of
people use the GFDL license, or you could just copy the boilerplate
license from the Manifesto (on our website).  Or you could just your
existing "license".

>  7.3.  Copyrights
>
>  The casual copyright with everything you get with linux...  To find
>  it, you'll have to read all of HOWTOs and average out the most common.
>  Otherwise, no, you cannot copy it.

			David Lawyer
http://lists.tldp.org/
I've just spent about 1 minute looking at it and it seems a lot has been
added to the HOWTO about the off-topic of making coffee, including
humor.  I don't think it's really suitable in it's present form for TLDP
since it needs to be about a Linux subject.  I think that there is lots
of evidence that coffee is not healthy to drink, especially if it's
depriving one of sleep.  I'm also teed off that it was claimed that I
suggested a name change that I didn't.