discuss: Linux server: which is the best kernel version to be used in a production environment?

Subject: Re: Linux server: which is the best kernel version to be used in a production environment?
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Aug 2004 13:06:31 -0000

Umberto,

Although there are plenty of people here on this list who are
well-versed in the knowledge required to give you an answer, this is
not the list for such questions.  I'd suggest sending your question
to a Linux users group.

Any answers you may get from this list are strictly fortuitous.

The discuss list at TLDP handles question in regards to
documentation about Linux, but not general questions.

Best of luck in your search,

-Martin

 : Hello.
 :
 : This is my first post to this list.
 : I already read the instructions, and I think this is the most appropriate list.
 : If I am in error, please, excuse me for the mistake, and forward me to the
 : appropriate list.
 :
 : Here is my question:
 :
 : I'm setting up a new server to be used as web (with php), mail, dns, samba,
 : mysql and ftp server.
 : I need to customize it a lot, so I thought starting from a distribution
 : like Debian, old Redhat 9, or Fedora, then manually upgrading kernel and
 : all of the services to one of the newest versions, applying some patches
 : from different sources in order to have the system customized as we need.
 :
 : I am in difficulties trying to choose the starting point, so, before
 : starting, I'd want to listen from other people's idea, too.
 :
 : Particularly about the kernel.
 :
 : We are almost paranoid about security.
 : So I thought to use the last 2.4 kernel (actually 2.4.27), instead of the
 : 2.6 kernel (actually 2.6.7).
 : This because I am worried about the fact the new 2.6 kernel could contain
 : some security bugs dued to the new features it offers.
 : (Note that, for our needs, none of the new features provided in the 2.6
 : kernel is needed in our actual environment).
 :
 : Am I right with my thinking, or am I in error?
 : Which kernel would you use for an environment like that described above?
 :
 : In the case you say me: "you're right, by now still try to use the 2.4
 : kernel", please tell me: could I be in troubles during the time, for
 : example maintaining updated the services? (For example, Fedora, which is
 : actually well maintained, runs against 2.6 kernel, not 2.4, so, I think, I
 : won't can use the Fedora updating list for keeping my server updated).
 :
 : What do you think about these troubles?
 :
 : Any idea appreciated.
 :
 : Thank you in advance.