discuss: Re: ISDN How To

Subject: Re: ISDN How To
From: Michael Schlenstedt ####@####.####
Date: 1 Aug 2004 20:29:00 -0000

On Fre Jul 23, 2004, Bruno Negrão ####@####.#### wrote:
> Hi Michael,

Hi!

Sorry for my late reply - I'm very busy at the moment...

> > In my opinion we shouldn't merge both HOWTOs. Your HOWTO is more close to
> > an "analog modem"-setup-HOWTO than to ISDN4Linux/CAPI, though external
> > modems are definetly related to isdn. In fact, I would prefer to leave it
> > as a "Mini HOWTO", because it don't really fit into the "PPP-Howto" nor
> > into the ISDN-Howto.
> Although an external ISDN modem configuration is practically identical to
> the common analog modem, this is not what people think at the first time.
> Thus i think that an "ISDN-HOWTO" should cover external isdn modems as it
> does with internal isdn cards.

Ok.

> You could insert my howto into yours in a section called something like: "A
> Step-by-Step Example of making a Dial-Up connection Using an External ISDN
> Modem"

Well, if me merge the howto I would prefer a chapter like "External
ISDN-Adapters" or similar. The HOWTO is currently devided into 2
chaptors "Capi" and "ISDN4Linux". So a separate chapter about external
adapters would be3 nice, maybe with some background information abaout
the adapters, how they work, which types exists etc. pp.

> Also you could add a brief section in your howto called "External ISDN
> Modems", where you would add a little paragraph like this bellow:

Well, that's exactly what I mean ;)

> What I can do is attenuate the Redhat bias in my document by saying in its
> introduction that "besides my testing environment is a Red Hat linux, most
> of the configuration showed here is also valid for other Linux
> distributions".

Ok, maybe somebody can test your howto on a debian (or whatever) system
so that we can verify that.

So, please send me your Doocbook-Code (xml) if it is ready for publish.A
I will merge the 2 documents and add you to the list of authors.

Bye,
Michael