discuss: Progress of Peer Review on LPI Certification Self-Study Guide

Subject: Re: Progress of Peer Review on LPI Certification Self-Study Guide
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 31 Jul 2004 00:55:25 -0000

Tor Slettnes wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 16:29, s. keeling wrote:
>
>>Incoming from Tabatha Marshall:
>>
>>>I wanted to check in with everyone and see how the peer review is going
>>>on this document.  Is there some content that could be added to help it,
>

>>I thought review of this was on hold since it's only a meatless
>>skeleton so far.

I simply wanted the guide to appear on the "in progress" list so that if
anyone was interested in contributing they could see what exists so far.

> I also wonder about some of the "practice questions" and answers
> provided: Were these actual questions on an exam?

These are not actual questions from the exam as that would be cheating
and would probably invalidate my certification.  I am working from the
exam objectives on LPI's web site and trying to formulate questions that
cover these objectives.

> I am asking because a number of them (both questions and answers) seem
> dubious at best, and in some cases, factually wrong.
>
> For instance:
> - >Your /etc/inittab file has a line that reads "id:3:initdefault:" What
>   >mode will the system enter when it is booted?
>   >
>   > A. Single user mode
>   > B. Non-network multi-user mode
>   > C. Network multi-user mode
>   > D. GUI mode
>
>   The answer given is (C).   This is true for RedHat; but not e.g.
>   Debian or other UNIXen.  In Debian, there is no run-level distinction
>   between B, C, and D; runlevels 2 - 5 are all "multi-user", "network",
>   and if a display manager is installed, "GUI".
>
> - >Several of your company's employees have asked for the ability to
>   >check their work email from home via the Internet. You have
>   >configured IMAP to accomodate them, but in order to complete the set
>   >up you must ask the firewall administrator to open the correct port
>   >and allow inbound connections. Which port should be opened?
>   >
>   > A. 23
>   > B. 25
>   > C. 110
>   > D. 143
>
>   The answer given is "D".  However, this is a bad practice.  Not only
>   is allowing inbound traffic through a firewall bad (at the very least,
>   the destination IP address should be restricted); but this also allows
>   both encrypted and unencrypted IMAP connections (encrypted after the
>   "STARTTLS" IMAP command).  To enforce encrypted connections, use the
>   993 ("imaps") service -- where the client and server will start TLS
>   immediately on connect.  In fact, this is the default port number
>   chosen by IMAP clients such as Outlook Express and Apple's Mail.app
>   once the user checks the "use encryption"/"SSL" option.
>

> - >During a freak electrical storm both the primary and secondary DNS
>   >servers on your network were simultaneously struck by lightning and
>   >are no longer operational. In the absense of name servers which file
>   >can be used to do hostname to IP address lookups? (give the full
>   >path)
>
>   The answer give is "/etc/hosts".  This is true if "dns" is specified
>   in /etc/nsswitch.conf (usually it is); but there are other
>   possibilities (e.g. using winbindd/"wins", LDAP, NIS...)
>

> There are more examples -- but if these are actual questions and answers
> provided by LPI, then they are not neccessarily "mistakes" as far as the
> HOWTO is concerned.
>
> -tor

With many of the questions I am simply trying to make it more
interesting and closer to real-world situations.  Writing things like
"what port does IMAP use" is very dull in my opinion.

Anyway, I am working with some people to try to get more practice
questions for the guide.  Once I have a larger selection I can keep the
best ones.  I do not intend to make this a one man effort, I simply want
to facilitate putting together a community-built study guide.  But until
more people know about this project and submit contributions I am
writing it myself.

Dave