discuss: Red Hat Linux + ISP Dial-up + ISDN External Modem HOWTO

Subject: Re: Red Hat Linux + ISP Dial-up + ISDN External Modem HOWTO
From: Tor Slettnes ####@####.####
Date: 22 Jul 2004 20:33:31 -0000

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 12:28, Rick Moen wrote:
> ... so I'd say that altogether too much has been made of
> this.  Yes, I acknowledge that there's a widely held view that document
> titles should be made as general as possible, but I personally feel
> that's a silly tendency, failing to credit readers with understanding
> the concept of "close enough to be useful".

Nice point.  My question is whether users who feel "left out" by the
title may attempt to write a similar document for _their_ choice of
distribution/software/hardware, so as to provide complete coverage.

If I saw a "Spam filtering for Postfix" document, I may still be tempted
to write a "Spam filtering for Exim", rather than contribute to the
original...

> 2.  Although much of the HOWTO's contents do generalise nicely to
> analogue modems, LDP already has a number of modem-centric
> connectivity-setup documents, so highlighting its ISDN coverage seems
> useful.

Conversely, does not this belong in those connectivity-setup documents,
perhaps as a section pertaining to ISDN?

I may be misunderstanding the aim of TLDP in this respect, but isn't
that why the "Mini-HOWTOs" were removed, and consolidated into larger
documents?

> (By the way, you say you're not American?  With a name like Tor
> Slettnes?  Why, all _my_ relatives have names like Karl, Margot, Reidar,
> Bjorg, and Arne, so I always considered those typical Yankee names.  ;->)

Jeg kan bare si én ting til det:
   Rick Moen kommer.  Kommer du?

:-)

-tor