discuss: Red Hat Linux + ISP Dial-up + ISDN External Modem HOWTO

Subject: Re: Red Hat Linux + ISP Dial-up + ISDN External Modem HOWTO
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 22 Jul 2004 19:28:35 -0000

Quoting Tor Slettnes ####@####.####

> Personally, I would probably remove both 'Red Hat', 'ISDN', and
> 'External' from the title.

My two centimes on the subject:  1.  Any reasonably resourceful Linux
user, on any distribution, who is having ISDN setup problems is going to
read and benefit from the HOWTO, regardless of distribution names in the
subject header, so I'd say that altogether too much has been made of
this.  Yes, I acknowledge that there's a widely held view that document
titles should be made as general as possible, but I personally feel
that's a silly tendency, failing to credit readers with understanding
the concept of "close enough to be useful".

2.  Although much of the HOWTO's contents do generalise nicely to
analogue modems, LDP already has a number of modem-centric
connectivity-setup documents, so highlighting its ISDN coverage seems
useful.

(By the way, you say you're not American?  With a name like Tor
Slettnes?  Why, all _my_ relatives have names like Karl, Margot, Reidar,
Bjorg, and Arne, so I always considered those typical Yankee names.  ;->)

####@####.####     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.