discuss: Red Hat Linux + ISP Dial-up + ISDN External Modem HOWTO

Subject: Re: Red Hat Linux + ISP Dial-up + ISDN External Modem HOWTO
From: Tor Slettnes ####@####.####
Date: 22 Jul 2004 18:49:43 -0000

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 11:11, Bruno Negrão wrote:
> > Bottom line is that for documentation purposes, you often cover a lot of
> > bases by targeting the RedHat/Fedora way of doing things and the Debian
> > way of doing things.  My observation/opinion.
> Ok Tor.
> So, do you *affirm*  that the configuration i'm proposing here is valid for
> Debian? If so, i'll add this note to my howto and remove the "Red Hat"
> string from its name.

Most of it does, but not the 'ifcfg-ppp0' script.

Unfortunately, I am not able right now to determine how much of that
script pertains to options and settings you are passing to 'wvdial' or
'pppd', and how much pertains to the RedHat specifics of bringing up a
link (i.e. the 'ifup' command).  (I don't connect via dial-up myself).

That said, on a Debian system you would probably want to write such
things as the ISP's telephone number, your modem "init" string, your
username, etc. directly into the configuration file created by
'wvdialconf' (at least, that's what 'man wvdial' suggests; and 'wvdial'
was actually originally written for Debian).

Personally, I would probably remove both 'Red Hat', 'ISDN', and
'External' from the title.   Instead, I would mention inside the
document that this is _your_ configuration, and that while it may still
be useful for users of other distributions, as well as users with analog
modems or other AT-command-capable ISDN cards, you make no assertions
about that.  Or similar.

The goal is to generalize the discussion so that it is useful for as
many people as possible, removing the need for small, but overlapping
HOWTOs.  (Hence also my question about whether you'd consider working
with the creator of the ISP-Connectivity HOWTO, and/or the "Linux ISDN"
HOWTO under works).

-tor