discuss: Licenses [was Re: LSM in Bordeaux]

Subject: Re: Licenses [was Re: LSM in Bordeaux]
From: Mysid ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jul 2004 10:33:57 -0000

> > > to be restrictive to those who would like to abuse it.  A free
> > > license must restrict the license under which any modified work is
> > > issued.  Otherwise one could modify the work and issue a very
> > > non-free license for the modified work.

> > Under this criteria BSD license would not be a free license. I dont
> > think thats correct. What you are defining is a copyleft license
> > according to FSF

The BSD license is a free software license... being "free" has nothing
to do with freedom from "abuse"; That would be called "freedom from
abuse", and it's an issue separate from the the work being free or
non-free.

Additional protections to keep Software/Docs free are and should
remain IMO up to the discretion of the authors: although some people
might not be willing to contribute improvements to materials that lack
the strong protection of a copyleft license, the other way around, and
there's a huge endless GPL vs BSD debate out there to boot.

People shouldn't consider it lightly, and Copyleft / Share-a-Like
protections are a good idea,

But the important thing is that "Being Free" and having "Copyleft"
style restrictions are not the same issue at all.     Heck, in a real
sense being Copyleft actually makes the software less free for the
person who downloaded it from you to change it: they have much less
flexibility in terms of adding licensing restrictions to their own
deriviative work.

There's no guarantee without Share-a-Like type protections that future
versions of a "Free" item will remain free, but that doesn't exist
anyhow :: the authors could choose to make a change of license for
future versions of the product to a restrictive license later
anyhow...   ...If some user being able to create a non-free
deriviative makes it non-free: then it seems to follow that everything
is non-free....

>    The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow
>    them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the
>    original software.
> Thus the license of an DFSG work must allow (but not require) that any
> derived work be distributed under the same terms.  Thus derived works

Must allow, but don't have to require.   A Free license means the work is
free.   It doesn't have to guarantee that any deriviative is also, but it can.

> may be distributed under any restrictive terms whatsoever (depending on
> the license of course).  Bad!

No, sometimes, sometimes... it can be good; there is a tradeoff involved.
Surely.... ... it worked for BSD...  it worked well for Wine for a long time,
until the bunch of commercial enhancements like oh, Crossover Office
and WineX  started popping up (EG)

-Mysid