discuss: Re: vlist wildly inaccurate

Subject: Re: vlist wildly inaccurate
From: "Jaroslaw Fedevych (UALUG" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jul 2004 09:41:08 -0000

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:35:10PM -0400, V. Alex Brennen wrote:

> >Do you want to say that you update very often production server software?
> >If it works well enough, why upgrade? And if an upgrade is ever justified,
> >you will have most probably paid the price.
>
> People are often forced to upgrade because of security
> vulnerabilities.

While this is right, none forces to go from, say, PHP4 to PHP5. That
is what are bugfix releases for.

> Let's not use technology just for the sake of using
> technology.  Especially, if it's not good technology.

Agreed. :) Let the time say; I hold a project similar to LDP, and
installed a wiki there -- to save my time doing updates, and to let
people update content harmlessly. It may turn to be a bad thing,
however, I repeat it again, time will show.

If a thing is already good, there's no reason to introduce new
features (hmm, that is why Plan9 did not overtake Unix, by the way)
and "improvements". A temporary solution would be keeping a wiki
on a separate server for materials which are too changeable to maintain
them traditional way, with periodic merging into the main collection.

BTW, I have started with MediaWiki. AFAIK Wikipedia wasn't cracked yet;
I hope it will do the job I need it for, and the code is pretty clear
when looked at. JFYI, http://www.mediawiki.org/.

Again, no intentions to go into flamages.

Oh, and if you haven't seen professional scripting developers -- look
again, maybe things are not so bad ;)