discuss: rating system

Subject: Re: rating system
From: "Christopher Priest" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jul 2004 19:07:18 -0000

My two cents to get the ball rolling.

First rating would be beginner, intermediate and expert. The author can
assign it.

Then you need a stated goal for the document so that it is not rated for a
purpose other than that intended..

My preference is for a talk back page like linux focus has rather than a
rating.

But if you want a rating then there are two that I see.
1) suitablility to purpose/goal which is a stand-alone rating applicable
where there is only one document on a topic.
2) best of breed which is used where there are 2 or more documents with the
same purpose. However given my understanding of the manifesto there should
only be one document for any purpose in the LDP files.

When I first encountered LDP, I was expecting it to be more of a large
database collecting all the known documents and rating them. Taking the best
as the "official" Linux document set. In many ways I am still uncomfortable
with the goal to create the "canonical" Linux Document set rather than
facilitating its selection by a rating process. The comments aimed at traduc
seem to bounce back too easily.

I should stop there because I'm still thinking and really haven't come to
any conclusions yet. It's clear that TLDP does good work. Thanks.