discuss: feedback on proposals

Subject: Re: feedback on proposals
From: "s. keeling" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jul 2004 17:48:49 -0000

Incoming from Saqib Ali:

> > I don't understand why this is necessary. Currently
> > the Author Guide
> > requests that authors subscribe to the discussion
> > list when they want to
> > present new topics. When authors are ready to submit
>
> I'm not anti-mailing-lists. However I personally think
> Blogs are a better medium for getting feedback
> compared to a mailing list. everybody has visited
> www.slashdot.org . Now imagine slashdot was mailing

Feedback?!?  Slashdot's feedback is flamefest central!  Slashdot is
the last place I would offer as an example of reasoned, balanced
reporting or discussion.  Sure, there are some posting there who
actually know what they're talking about, but the rest just bury them
in inconsequentials.

If I want to find out about the latest video game craze (Ha!), or hear
Some Anonymous Coward talk about what kind of terraflop chips I'll be
able to buy next decade, I go to /.  It's good for pointers to real
information.  It doesn't offer any itself.

A mailing list is far more accessible for those who haven't access to
100Mb ethernet connections.  I hate having to point a web browser at
anything.  It's the slowest way to get anything done.

- -