discuss: Re: [Fwd: Re: LSM in Bordeaux]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: LSM in Bordeaux]
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jul 2004 17:38:12 -0000

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 08:30:37PM +0200, Jean-Philippe Gu?rard wrote:
> We are losing the focus of this discussion:
>
> Let me summarize the discussion up to now. After having seen a post to
> the discuss mail list where Guylhem Aznar complains about the
> "unilateral policies" of the French and German projects, we contacted
> your mail list to inquire about it.
>
> In his reply, Guylhem Aznar recognized that this comment was targeting
> us.
>
> We have since discovered that Guylhem Aznar aired the same complaints
> about "French projects" both on public forums
> [http://linuxfr.org/2004/06/22/16615.html] and in his talk at the LSM
> in Bordeaux.
>
> We are investing a lot in promoting French translation projects.
> Having the TLDP (assuming that Guylhem Aznar represents the TLDP)
> publicly complaining about us is clearly impeding this effort and I do
> not see how this is in the interest of the TLDP.
>
> We said that we were trying our best to cooperate with the TLDP and
> asked your list what was the issue, and how we could solve it. Also,
> we asked for an URL update regarding our project.
>
> This only answer was that we needed to become an official TLDP web
> site, and once that is done we could join the staff mail list where
> "informal discussion between projects" occurs.

Since it seems that you are just a translation project, then I don't see
it as being important that you become a TLDP web site like Guylhem
planned.  I think his plan was a good one and if a French LDP is ever
revived, then it would make sense to have fr.tldp.org.  You should
understand how Guylhem must feel, having proposed the names like
fr.tldp.org, es.tldp.org, ru.tldp.org and then not be able to get
this going in France, his own country.

Of course more cooperation might be be beneficial if...  If TLDP had
ratings on its docs (but it doesn't), then this might help in selecting
which docs would be worthwhile to translate.  Also the converse of this:
Which docs in non-English should be translated into English?  If TLDP
had good free software for a database/website (but we don't) we could
share it with others.

[snip]