discuss: feedback on proposals

Subject: Re: feedback on proposals
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jul 2004 16:43:16 -0000

Hello Emma,

> I don't understand why this is necessary. Currently
> the Author Guide
> requests that authors subscribe to the discussion
> list when they want to
> present new topics. When authors are ready to submit

I m not anti-mailing-lists. However I personally think
Blogs are a better medium for getting feedback
compared to a mailing list. everybody has visited
www.slashdot.org . Now imagine slashdot was mailing
list instead of a Blog. do you the topics on slashdot
would still get the same type of feedback?

> The mailing list archives are easily viewed by
> anyone who has a web
> browser. And the topics are sorted by thread.
> 	http://lists.tldp.org/index.cgi?1:dds:0:200407

viewable, but you have to agree that the archive
doesn't have as good of a user interface as a Blog
will

> Tille (and others) work very hard on also providing
> a weekly summary of events. The
> most recent version is always available from:
> 	http://tldp.org/ldpwn/latest.html

Yes. And it is a manual task. If go with a Blog, the
RSS feed can be generated automatically. Thus
eliminating the need for manual work:

See http://tools.tldp.org/blog/b2rss.php . I can also
create a HTML new page using the RSS, dynamically.

> A summary of documents currently being worked on is
> available at:
> 	http://tldp.org/authors/inprogress.html
> This is maintained by both Tabatha and myself. The
> email address for every
> author currently working on a document is available
> either from that page,
> or from the document itself.

Again a manual task. Categories are one of the feature
of Blogs. Thus eliminating the needs for maintained a
static content page.

Thanks

=====
In Peace