discuss: Re: [Fwd: Re: LSM in Bordeaux]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: LSM in Bordeaux]
From: Jorge Godoy ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jul 2004 20:30:56 -0000

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 16:16, Jean-Philippe Guérard wrote:
> On 2004-07-13 15:41:06 -0300, Jorge Godoy wrote :
> > On Tuesday 13 July 2004 15:30, Jean-Philippe Guérard wrote:
> > > Now the discussion is not advancing anymore. We exchanged
> > > several mails with Guylhem Aznar. Now we are in contact with
> > > Jorge Godoy and we seem to restart from the beginning. We have
> > > stated clearly that we wanted to stay independent, but that we
> > > are ready to cooperate with the LDP.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but to clarify I'm in contact with nobody.
>
> OK. Sorry for the confusion. I guess we were all expecting an
> answer from Guylhem Aznar.

Actually, he should say something soon, but when emailing a public
mailing list you should expect an answer from anyone there. This is
what I said on my last message with the attempt to clarfy that I was
not talking to you in any other means than this mailing list.

> > I just answered your email at the TLDP public mailing list. Only
> > this. Any message posted to a public mailing list can be answered
> > by any of its members at any time... This is what happened.
>
> It's perfectly your right to do so. I'm not contesting it, nor
> criticizing you in any way.
>
> If you understood it that way, please accept my apologies.

I was just making it clear for everybody who is reading that I wasn't
talking to you in private, as Guylhem seemed to do. And I wasn't
speaking in TLDP's name. I would never do that without consulting the
staff people before.

Starting something with dubious interpretations is not what I think to
be a good thing for documentation teams and documentation writers and
this is why I cited only the first paragraph of this message and
answered your second message.

> > Don't presume that people who answers your questions are talking
> > in the organization's name or assuming from somewhere where
> > another person left.
>
> Well, it is very difficult for me to understand how the TLDP is
> organised. I've been trying to find an organisation chart on the
> web site, but did not find it.

Basically all "hard" decisions are taken at the staff mailing list.
There are people in charge of some tasks --- e.g. Sergiusz with the
CVS ---, and doing it on a daily basis. There are also reports from
donations we got, etc. When there's something for which a consensus
was not achieved or something too polemical, Guylhem *also* (not
alone) say something or give his opinion, as the project leader.
There has never been --- since I remember, at least --- any
imposition.

Then, there are the teams by themselves, with their own structure and
this public mailing list, where everything fits :-)

It's like I told you on my previous post: you don't have to change
anything at all in your organization to fit with TLDP. It's almost
just a matter of having your team leader to join us and start
discussing things.

> This message was not intended against you or against anybody. I'm
> trying to clarify the situation between the TLDP and us.

I see. But lets try writing it clearly. It seemed that I was somehow
commited with the process of your integration with us or something
like that.

> I think your message was quite nice, but it was out of focus of the
> discussion.

OK. No problem, even though I can't see anything prior to your message
on this mailing list. There was, indeed, something at the private
staff mailing list, but since you moved it to a public mailing list,
it seemed to me that you were requesting for public opinions.

My message showed how *we* started with TLDP and what *we* think about
it here in Brasil. I was trying to show *you*, Jean-Philippe, that
*you*, the French team, can do the same with almost no change at all
and it was easier than I could see you were thinking it was. Of
course, all that from the message you sent to the public mailing
list.

I try to keep messages on the mailing list they started to prevent
this kind of "restart". It's easier to see what has been discussed
and to focus on the readers experience/interests.

> It's probably my fault. I should have translated and sent to the
> list the complete exchange between Guylhem Aznar and our
> association.

I think you should. Specially because you were emailing a public list.

Anyway, I don't know what has been said and I reported our experience
and I *never* saw Guylhem talking bad of anyone working with
translations in an organized way (no, it's not needed for them to be
with us at TLDP to be organized).

If you want Guylhem's opinion, you'd better send him and email, and
only to him. If you'd like to have other team leaders opinions, you
can send me or him a message and I'll forward it to the staff list
(just in case it is blocked for non-subscribers) and I'll be glad to
forward you their messages, if they don't  carbon copy you.

That's it and I'm leaving with a lot of work to do...

Be seeing you,
- --