discuss: Re: [Fwd: Re: LSM in Bordeaux]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: LSM in Bordeaux]
From: ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jul 2004 18:30:40 -0000

We are losing the focus of this discussion:

Let me summarize the discussion up to now. After having seen a post to
the discuss mail list where Guylhem Aznar complains about the
"unilateral policies" of the French and German projects, we contacted
your mail list to inquire about it.

In his reply, Guylhem Aznar recognized that this comment was targeting
us.

We have since discovered that Guylhem Aznar aired the same complaints
about "French projects" both on public forums
[http://linuxfr.org/2004/06/22/16615.html] and in his talk at the LSM in
Bordeaux.

We are investing a lot in promoting French translation projects. Having
the TLDP (assuming that Guylhem Aznar represents the TLDP) publicly
complaining about us is clearly impeding this effort and I do not see
how this is in the interest of the TLDP.

We said that we were trying our best to cooperate with the TLDP and
asked your list what was the issue, and how we could solve it. Also, we
asked for an URL update regarding our project.

This only answer was that we needed to become an official TLDP web site,
and once that is done we could join the staff mail list where "informal
discussion between projects" occurs.

Now the discussion is not advancing anymore. We exchanged several mails
with Guylhem Aznar. Now we are in contact with Jorge Godoy and we seem
to restart from the beginning. We have stated clearly that we wanted to
stay independent, but that we are ready to cooperate with the LDP.

The LDP position seems to be that the first step for us is to become an
official TLDP site.

If the deal is: become an official TLDP site and we'll stop whining
about you. Then *no way*.

If the TLDP wants to work more closely with us, it should contact us
peacefully. A public campaign against us will just make us wary of
any serious cooperation.

--------------------

On 2004-07-09 12:43:53 -0300, Jorge Godoy wrote :
> > For the moment, we translate only free documents and we publish
> > them only under the same free licences. Is there any reason why
> > this should change?
>
> To avoid abuse of documentation is one example.

I was speaking of free as speech (ie libre in French), not free as beer.

> > We have no skill in software development. Or at least, we are not
> > organised to do this kind of job. We are just translators.
>
> We are and we have and you could benefit from that.

What I meant is that our project aim is to make foreign documents
available in French, not to make software. We have people with software
skill, this is not the issue.

> Why can't you at least give it a try and share your ideas with us now,
> to make it grow faster and in a direction that you approve as well?

We are ready to share our ideas with you on a public open mail list,
not on a private closed list.

--------------------

To sum it up:

- We are ready to work with the TLDP. We would welcome having a closer
  cooperation. If you need our help, just tell us how we can help.

- We would like the TLDP to stop its public disparaging campaign.

- We do not wish to be integrated with the TLDP. We are not interested
  in discussing this any further.

- We would be very happy if the tools made by the TLDP to facilitate
  the translation work of all its international projects was available
  on a public place.

- We'd be very happy to take part in an open public list made by the
  TLDP to facilitate cooperation and exchange of ideas between
  international projects.

Thanks to you all.

I think the LDP is doing a great job publishing English documentation.
And I am sorry to bother you with this discussion.

Best regards.

--
Jean-Philippe Guérard
Vice-president of the Traduc.org association