discuss: GNU Linux Tools Summary

Subject: Re: GNU Linux Tools Summary
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jul 2004 10:49:47 -0000

Hi,

"
>I think the point here is that these are commands that _you_
>might use now and then, but they are not on the everyday list
>of tools used by people.  TO be useful, your document needs
>to be selective.  Otherwise it's only a more useful than
>typing "mak -k ."
"
Point taken, I will clean it up more, and I think I might end up making a
editors cut or something similar for TLDP. (Depends on what I decide, either
cut the document down a lot, which I'm more likely to do, or create 2
versions, which I don't want to do).

"
>Going back -- I see one command in there that is regularly
>useful to me: seq(1), for constructing for loops in shell scripts.
<snip>
>See my comment above.  These are tools that _you_ might use, but they
>are not of general interest (IMO, but I don't think I'd be alone in that
>opinion).
"
Hmm, I was going to avoid bash programming commands, but I could add them
(but I'm not too familiar with bash programming, and that would possibly be
a section).
Would you want that under mathamtical tools? Didn't people say remove it?

"
>You snipped a question of mine -- and I think it cuts to the heart
>of the problem with this document.  To rephrase: what is your aim,
>and how are you achieving it in the document?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Michael

"
Sorry, must have over-snipped :).

My aim was originally to create a list of commands I found useful, I think I
took the useful thing too far and rather than document whats practical I
documented everything I considered useful.

So I guess I should be aiming to document commands which are
a) Useful or likely to become useful to the majority of users.
b) Used by many users daily.
Of course the decision will end up being my own, (yes everyone will have a
different judgement on what is useful).

However what I would like is opinions on what is useful and what is not
(well I think I'll be getting some from the reviewer, but if anyone has time
to provide this kind of feedback it will be appreciated).

Regards,
Gareth

Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp?banner=emailtag&referrer=hotmail