discuss: Getting Help with Linux HOWTO -- new revision

Subject: Re: Getting Help with Linux HOWTO -- new revision
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jul 2004 20:52:59 -0000

www.raybenjamin.com/howto/getting-linux-help/linux-help-how-to.xml.

http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/tldp_pdf/http://www.raybenjamin.com/howto/getting-linux-help/linux-help-how-to.xml

http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/tldp/http://www.raybenjamin.com/howto/getting-linux-help/linux-help-how-to.xml
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/3dnqu

Thanks Saqib. Is this tool listed in the resource
section and explained in the author guide. please
consider doing so.

Everyone who wants more feedback on a document please
provide a link which we can directly read online.

I cant see the images within the document. Is this a
problem with the documentation or your conversion?

feedback on the doc
------------------

The explanation on how search engine works should be
in a sidebox. Short explanations that are task
oriented  is preferable first. I dont think every user
looking for help is going to be interested in how
search engines work. all he would want to know is
understand how to get the answers he is searching for.

The document says that info pages are diff from man
pages without any specific detail such as the
hierarchial order. If the navigation keys are
specified for man pages it would be appropriate to
specify the commonly used ones for the info pages too.
same for a example of how info pages look. The
different sections in a man page could be helpful and
examples of using them like

man section command/configuration file

It would be better to explain gaim rather than x-chat
for people looking for help from windows. windows gaim
client is available from gaim.sf.net. Also mention
mirc as it seems to be popular in windows. Keep in
mind that not everyone looking for help in linux would
have a Li nux machine. They might be trying to install
it!

"As when meeting any new people, it's a good idea to
say hello and introduce yourself before you launch
into your appeal for help."

I dont think this is necessary. In IRC something like

me: Hi. I am new to Linux. can i ask for help
---

isnt very useful. something like

me: Hi guys. Can something tell me how to install
fedora from a windows machine. I searched google
already.
--

Would be better.  consider linking to
http://www.irchelp.org/

Every section should have a few specific examples. for
irc channels mention the favorite ones and so on

Several people ask for help in the documentation list
of the project instead of the general list. This can
be mentioned explicitly.

Documentation can be available in /usr/share/doc or
/usr/doc. Ask the user to try looking in there

Please link to

where you explan how to ask for help.

A very good improvement from your previous version.
Thanks

regards
Rahul Sundaram

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail