discuss: GNU Linux Tools Summary

Subject: Re: GNU Linux Tools Summary
From: "Michael T Kerrisk" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jul 2004 05:55:50 -0000

Gidday,

> I don't agreee with that list and I use some of them regularly however, I
> will re-evaluate some of them.

I think the point here is that these are commands that _you_
might use now and then, but they are not on the everyday list
of tools used by people.  TO be useful, your document needs
to be selective.  Otherwise it's only a more useful than
typing "mak -k ."

> "> > >The entire section 13 (Mathematical tools)
> >(Audio
> Section 13 I can consider removing.

Going back -- I see one command in there that is regularly
useful to me: seq(1), for constructing for loops in shell scripts.

> Section 18, no way, I don't agree. I will revise the section.

See my comment above.  These are tools that _you_ might use, but they
are not of general interest (IMO, but I don't think I'd be alone in that
opinion).

> Section 19 I will probably remove (probably, no definitely).
>

> diff3, lastlog, enscript, rgrep, fgrep and maybe style I will consider
> removing (the first 2 I will remove).
>
> The others I'm not sure about yet, I do use quite a few of them daily.
>
> In general (to everyone), I would like to thank you for finally giving me
> some direct feedback, rather than saying that it could be better or its
> not good enough (IMHO that achieves nothing).
>
> This is exactly what I was looking for, not criticism directly, just
> feedback on the document itself.

You snipped a question of mine -- and I think it cuts to the heart
of the problem with this document.  To rephrase: what is your aim,
and how are you achieving it in the document?

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk

+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router für alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl