discuss: GNU Linux Tools Summary

Subject: Re: GNU Linux Tools Summary
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jul 2004 02:17:12 -0000

Hi,

I don't agreee with that list and I use some of them regularly however, I
will re-evaluate some of them.

"> > >The entire section 13 (Mathematical tools)
> > >The entire Section 18. (Graphics tools (command line based)) and 19
>(Audio
> > >tools)"
Section 13 I can consider removing.

Section 18, no way, I don't agree. I will revise the section.

Section 19 I will probably remove (probably, no definitely).

diff3, lastlog, enscript, rgrep, fgrep and maybe style I will consider
removing (the first 2 I will remove).

The others I'm not sure about yet, I do use quite a few of them daily.

In general (to everyone), I would like to thank you for finally giving me
some direct feedback, rather than saying that it could be better or its not
good enough (IMHO that achieves nothing).

This is exactly what I was looking for, not criticism directly, just
feedback on the document itself.

Thankyou,
Gareth
>From: "s. keeling" ####@####.####
>To: ####@####.####
>Subject: Re: GNU Linux Tools Summary
>Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:14:17 -0600
>
>Incoming from Rodolfo J. Paiz:
> > At 02:39 AM 7/8/2004, Michael T Kerrisk wrote:
> > >That's fine, but then you go into far too much esoteric material.  I
>would
> > >eliminate discussions of the following altogether:
> > >
> > >pgrep
> > >pkill
> > >skill
> > >snice
> > >slocate
> > >lastlog
> > >style
> > >diff3
> > >sdiff
> > >figlet
> > >join
> > >enscript
> > >chcase
> > >rgrep
> > >fgrep
> > >The entire section 13 (Mathematical tools)
> > >The entire Section 18. (Graphics tools (command line based)) and 19
>(Audio
> > >tools)
> > >and other stuff as well...
> >
> > As a bit of support, in the last 8 years the commands in that list I've
> > actually used are slocate, lastlog, and diff. Never even heard of a few
>of
> > them.
>
>slocate, figlet (just wondering what it was), join, enscript, and
>fgrep.  In Linux, [fer]grep is all the same animal (Gnu grep), which
>changes its behaviour depending on which switches are used.
>
>   history | awk '{print $2}' | sort -u | less
>
>will tell you what you've been up to lately.  Mine's 71 lines long.
>
>HISTFILESIZE=500
>HISTSIZE=500
>

>--
>Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>(*)               http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
>- -

>http://lists.tldp.org/

Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp?banner=emailtag&referrer=hotmail