discuss: Proposal: LPI Self-Study Guide

Subject: Re: Proposal: LPI Self-Study Guide
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2004 05:03:57 -0000

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:50:10AM -0700, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

> > While I would like the work to be free for anyone to use as they see
> > fit I think it is important that it be authored only by LPI
> > certified persons.  After all, I would not trust a "home wiring
> > guide" written by someone who is not a licensed electrician.
> >
> > Dave

I sort of agree.  Except that there are some people who could pass the
LPI but don't take it.  I understand that passing it doesn't really
count for much in finding a job.  LDP will accept the Guide so long at
it's freely distributable.  Even with your restriction, you could always
give someone permission to modify it if you thought they would do a good
job.

> while I am aware that you have removed this restriction the reason I
> suggested this was that everyone should be encouraged to contribute.
> Morever contributions can also be non technical. say a change in
> language to make it more clear at some places for example. A good rule
> of thumb is that what you want from a document is usually not unique.
> Many people have probably thought about the same things that you did
> regarding a suitable license. There are a lot of complications in
> those kind of stuff that choosing a preexisting recognised license
> written by an lawyer is always better than creating a new one or
> putting variations on it by yourself.

I don't agree with this.  Look at the GFDL for example.  I use my own
license.  For years, almost all LDP docs used the LDP License written by
non-lawyers.
			David Lawyer