discuss: GNU Linux Tools Summary

Subject: Re: GNU Linux Tools Summary
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2004 04:55:13 -0000

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 01:26:34PM +1000, Guru - wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The GNU/Linux tools summary which has been in draft for an eternity (I'm
> becoming more and more busy with uni and life and as a result my
> documentation efforts are decreasing (and programming is increasing!)).
>
> Anyway, I have discussed this document on multiple occasions on the list
> and with Tabatha, it should now be ready for review or acceptance.

I don't agree.  I sampled about 2% of it and again I noticed that much
of what I found were unimportant commands that will not be used
much.  For a doc like yours, only the most important commands and
options should be included.

Also, I tried out a command and it didn't work: echo \tk
It doesn't work because the shell removes th \ passing only tk to the
echo command.  Now just fixing this will not fix the likely oodles of
other things that likely need fixing, deleting, or adding.

> A previous review had been done but only made it about half-way through the
> document.

I think the reviewer went way to far into it.

> This document is *large* (>100 pages) and has been refined over many, many
> hours work by myself and others.
>
> Please either organise some kind of review or give me some feedback on the
> document (It will now have to be quite detailed feedback due to my lack of
> time).

It's my opinion that the doc needs a lot of work by someone who has read
some books on Linux and used the command line interface a lot.   One
needs to select the most important commands and options.  So it's a big
task, likely taking hundred of hours.  I think that some computers keep
statistics on what commands are used most.  But even some of the ones
rarely used are important in emergencies.

I spent the last few minutes taking a look at it again.  I think that
some of what I read could be explained better and in more detail.  But I
still have hopes for it if someone has time to do more work on it.

Sorry to be so critical.  This doc is likely better than a lot of docs
we already have that need to be removed.