discuss: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)

Subject: Re: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jul 2004 23:08:31 -0000

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 10:13:34PM -0600, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> What most people DON'T realize is that Open Source software is actually
> closer to the ideas espoused by Christianity.  Let me explain.
>
> Idea		Open Source 		Bible
> ----		-----------		-----
> Source Code	Open			Original Languages are open
> Changeability	Open, based on rules	Open, based on rules
> 		of program language	of grammar/etc.

 Idea		Open Source 		Almost any Book
 ----		-----------		---------------
 Source Code	Open			Original Languages are open

 Idea		Open Source 		Any book out of copyright
 					or with a free license
 ----		-----------		-------------------------
 Changeability	Open, based on rules	Open, based on rules
 		of program language	of grammar/etc.

So would you claim that Open Source software is actually closer to the
ideas espoused by "any book" or by "any book out of copyright", etc.?
Of course not, because some such books may espouse ideas hostile to open
source software.  So you are confusing the language/grammar of a book
with the ideas expressed by the book

> The languages that the Bible was written in, Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek,
> were the languages of the day, much like C++ or C of today. However,
> when only the "priests" hold all of the cards of translations of the
> Bible in Latin and failed to keep it relevant to what people were doing,
> i.e. the Latin Vulgate was the "intellectual property" of the day, then
> you have the similar conditions prior to the Reformation of John Calvin
> and Martin Luther much like Linus did with Linux.  While Luther and
> Calvin gave the Bible back to the people, Linus has given the code back
> to the people where in each case there has been tremendous creativity
> and prosperity.

So Protestant Christianity has resulted in tremendous prosperity?  This
is debatable.