discuss: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)

Subject: Re: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)
From: ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jul 2004 15:47:52 -0000

> What most people DON'T realize is that Open Source software is actually
> closer to the ideas espoused by Christianity.  Let me explain.

<snip unnecessary explaination>

Whilst I believe that there is no harm in a HOWTO on document translation
(historical, religious, scientific or otherwise) my personal opinion is
that if I saw a BIBLE translation howto I would feel as though TLDP is
affiliated with christianity and is using its role as a guide for Linux
users as a platform to push it. Equally so, if you were translating the
koran I'm sure there'd be plenty of Jews who would draw the conclusion
that TLDP is religiously aligned, funded or motivated.
I'd also like to make the point that I'd be offended if I saw a bible
translation howto. My religion is my own business, and I don't need
someone elses view of the universe being pushed upon me. I will not take
part in any debate upon religion and I advise people to avoid discussion
of religion itself in this thread if a response is expected from me.
There are also issues with various fractions of christianity (lutherian,
anglican, methodist and catholic) that could also risk offence (Are you
really going to check all the different bible versions in original German,
Latin and Anglican King James forms to ensure you say things that don't
contradict one particular part of christianity?)
> Denying tools for someone is denying the opportunity to make things
> better.

Can you see that in doing a christian-specific translation guide you'd be
doing exactly that? I have Sunni Muslim and Jewish friends who wouldn't
read it on the grounds that it's specific to christianity. For this reason
alone you may find that you gain a greater audience by approaching it from
a generic historical document point of view.
We don't need a translation guide for every religion (or indeed every form
of historic document) - A guide to translating historical documents using
Linux would be of use to some people as the requirements are different to
those involved in general translation.
Just my 0.02 shekels worth,
Steve