discuss: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)

Subject: Re: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)
From: Kevin Cullis ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jul 2004 14:52:21 -0000

What most people DON'T realize is that Open Source software is actually
closer to the ideas espoused by Christianity.  Let me explain.

Idea		Open Source 		Bible
----		-----------		-----
Source Code	Open			Original Languages are open
Changeability	Open, based on rules	Open, based on rules
		of program language	of grammar/etc.

The languages that the Bible was written in, Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek,
were the languages of the day, much like C++ or C of today. However,
when only the "priests" hold all of the cards of translations of the
Bible in Latin and failed to keep it relevant to what people were doing,
i.e. the Latin Vulgate was the "intellectual property" of the day, then
you have the similar conditions prior to the Reformation of John Calvin
and Martin Luther much like Linus did with Linux.  While Luther and
Calvin gave the Bible back to the people, Linus has given the code back
to the people where in each case there has been tremendous creativity
and prosperity.

Denying tools for someone is denying the opportunity to make things
better.

HTH

Kevin