discuss: Re: Review needed: Spam Filtering for Mail Exchangers (fwd)

Subject: Re: Review needed: Spam Filtering for Mail Exchangers (fwd)
From: Tor Slettnes ####@####.####
Date: 2 Jul 2004 21:50:40 -0000

On Jul 2, 2004, at 02:18, Shuvam Misra wrote:

> I asked a friend, who is not a member of this list, to review the Spam
> Filtering HOWTO.

Good idea.  Thanks!

> In fact it was with his feedback that we have
> implemented (Sendmail-based) spam filtering on our servers.

Sounds very interesting.  Do you suppose your server configuration
might be useful in this document?

There is no race condition under normal circumstances.  Such
verifications happen with a NULL sender ("MAIL FROM:<>"), and so the
host that is being asked to do the first verification, in turn, has no
sender to verify.

That is, of course, until you change the "sender=" option to this
feature - something that people normally only do for _recipient_
callout verification.

There _may_ be a race condition involved if a recipient host is
performing sender callout verification back to a MX that imposes
indiscriminate SMTP transaction delays.  That's why the document
suggests 20 seconds for such delays - the default callout verification
timeout per command is 30 seconds.

> I am using all the options he has given, except for greylisting.  A
> guaranteed 1 hour wait is not acceptable.

Hmm, this comment makes me think that greylisting is not explained
clearly enough.

The one hour wait happens only on the _first_ message for a given
sender/senderhost/recipient triplet.  Thereafter, the triplet is added
to a whitelist, and future deliveries are not subject to delays.

I personally find this technique much more acceptable than some other
mechanisms that people use (DNSbls, requesting confirmation by the
sender, and some types of content filtering, to name a few).  Unlike
these latter techniques, greylisting involves virtually ZERO false
positives - legitimate mail is always delivered.  About 90% of
current-generation spam is blocked, at a very low cost to the server
CPU or network bandwidth.

More details on Evan Harris' web site:
	http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/