discuss: Getting Linux Help HOWTO -- revised

Subject: Re: Getting Linux Help HOWTO -- revised
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jul 2004 13:38:38 -0000

--- Rob McGee ####@####.#### wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 09:47:05PM -0400, Ray
> Benjamin wrote:
> > > I don't think it should state that emphasis is
> on IRC.  I think it
> > > should cover all means of getting help
> (including IRC).  I didn't see
> > > searching posts on mailing lists and newsgroups
> such as Google's groups.
> >
> > The original HOWTO was primarily focused on
> getting help via IRC and
> > that focus has shifted.  Thank you for pointing
> that out.  I do have a
> > section about using Google to find help and a
> section on using site
> > forums and mailing lists, although they can
> probably use some
> > improvement.  Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> IME although IRC can provide "faster" responses,
> you're less likely to
> get expert assistance there as opposed to Usenet.
> More of the blind
> leading the blind (which also occurs a great deal on
> Usenet,
> unfortunately.)

I think you are taking your experiences as conclusive.
many of the key developers spend a lot of time on irc
and there are many times where i have a got a quick
complete answer on irc.

i have send in a review of this document to the author
a while before. if the document is updated to
incorporate my feedback and others I am willing to
send in more feedback on it. its a very good start and
we can probably improve upon it. We have a linux
consultants howto so you can link to it. I know
atleast one of the consultants to be very mediocre so
cant really vote for it

regards
Rahul Sundaram

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail