discuss: Re: Parallel Processing HOWTO major update

Subject: Re: Parallel Processing HOWTO major update
From: "G Ferguson / LDP" ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jun 2004 12:58:14 -0000

> I am the author and maintainer of the Parallel processing HOWTO...
> which hasn't had an official update since 1998.  I am now working
> on a MAJOR update which I expect to complete within a few weeks.

Excellent...welcome back!

> I have two questions:
>
> 1. I've moved from Purdue to the University of Kentucky, and no
>   longer am reachable by the email address officially given for
>   the HOWTO maintainer.  The home site for the HOWTO is also
>   changed to aggregate.org/PPLINUX. How do I get that info updated?

Do you want that updated immediately, or can we wait until you
submit an update? I can change the existing source and re-publish
what we have, just let me know (please provide the correct email/URLs).

> 2. The 1998 version of the HOWTO was done using SGML, which at that
>   time was forbidden from having figures; I'm wondering how much I
>   should change in terms of the formatting -- i.e., I'd really like
>   to use a bunch of Figures and I'm assuming that the format is now
>   supposed to be the book XML, but I still don't see a way to do
>   figures (other than as URL refs). Am I missing something?

Probably the old format was in linuxdoc SGML which (still!) does not
support figures/images. We encourage moving to DocBook XML or SGML.
We have templates available, and many resources to help:

  Authors Resources: http://www.tldp.org/authors/index.html#resources
  LDP Author Guide : http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/

Information on using images in your document:
  http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/inserting-pictures.html

regards,
--
Greg Ferguson / LDP volunteer