discuss: the tldp foundation

Subject: Re: the tldp foundation
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jun 2004 22:15:23 -0000

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> --- Stein Gjoen ####@####.#### wrote: > Rahul
> Sundaram wrote:
>
>>[...]
>>

>>>While its remarkable that tldp has managed to
>>>survive
>>>as an informal group of volunteers for a long time
>>>foundation can be formed to better deal with these
>>>kinds of things
>>
>>I cannot quite see how a foundation works better or
>>differently
>>than these mailing lists, could you elaborate?
>
> sure. take a look at the mozilla foundation and gnome
> foundation for examples of this. while random
> volunteers can get together and discuss things,
> sometimes decisions will have to taken promptly and

Considering many of us here have been around for
many years now I cannot just dismiss this forum.
Nor do I see how a foundation speeds things up.
You would in any case need bylaws and processes that
gives powers to a group to make decisions and even
that is no guarantee. Debian to take an example has
lots of constitutions and processes but keeps on
postponing th enext release.

> decisively. We get struck on various things. who gets
> to decide whether a document should be accepted into
> the collection, removed, acceptable licenes,
> formulating new policies and making sure that various
> things we discuss do not get dropped out. for example
> the css related changes to the website was discussed
> extensively and remember the web counters thingy
> everyone was interested in but just never happened?.
> maybe having a foundation would help?

As you point out we do make decisions but carrying them
out quickly requires more people than we actually have.

>>>benefits
>>>1)clear leadership and direction
>>>

>>We already have a leader but I would like to see
>>more on
>>what directions are in the plans and the vision for
>>TLDP
>>(without Dilbert styled marketing speak of course).
>>This
>>too should be possible to communicate on a mailing
>>list.
>>

> sure we have a leader but i believe we need more
> people and close knit team who can decisively do
> things on behalf of tldp . for example) promoting LDP
> or getting sponsorships.

We can definitely agree on the need to get more people.
That is alos the hard part.

>>>2)can be assigned copyrights
>>
>>Is that really necessary?
>
> Not completely but it can beneficial. I know quite a
> few people like to assign copyrights and not worry
> about licensing and stuff. It can be useful for
> various scenarios. I am sure pretty sure searching the
> archives would show some interesting things.

I cannot remember such scenario having ever appeared
so I would be interested to see what you can find.

>>>3)can recieve funds
>>>4)organise things more easily
>>
>>Could you elaborate more on what needs to be
>>organised?
>>

> see above. we need to make sure we dont drop out
> various ideas and follow up on things we discuss and
> take a decision on whether this is acceptable or not
> and if not why/

Currently I use an inbox to make sure nothing is lost.
A workflow system has been proposed to streamline that
so there still is not organisational an issue here.

>>>5)contacts can be established in a better way
>>
>>Such as?
>
> Suppose that you want to get sponsorship for a certain
> event. say a yearly LDP meet or say some authors would
> like to recieve renumeration for their work or get
> their work published as a book and would like tldp to
> help them. how do you go about doing this now?. A
> foundation is better equipped to do that.

We already have some funds but there is a big threshold
before spending any. Also we have contacts with a few
companies that have sponsored us. While carefully not
dismissing you views I am just not entirely convinced.

>>>what do you guys think?
>>
>>I would like to know more on what you have in mind.
>>
>>My own view is that we should improve our services
>>our users by keeping in mind exactly who they are
>>and
>>what they want, specifically:
>>
>>  o end users, readers
>>   - better structure (*)
>>   - better navigation between documents (*)
>>   - possibly more formats for reading (*)
>>   - more complete collection of documents
>>     - adding auxilliary documents
>>     - more brocures (*)
>>     - more overview documents
>>     - adding in existing documents from elsewhere
>>  o authors and new authors
>>   - better tools
>>     - improve templates (*)
>>     - better generators (*)
>>   - continue improving documentation
>>   - recruit new authors
>>  o publishers, packagers
>>   - make tools to make selection and compilation
>>easy (*)
>>   - improve contacts with these (*)
>>   - get fresher TLDP contents in more distributions
>>  o editors, reviewers
>>   - continue improving documentation and process
>>   - workflow management
>>   - recruit more people
>>  o other items
>>   - more coverage of TLDP
>>   - more announcements (*)

Time to add some more:
   o publisity material
    - press kit
    - up to date statistics ready for background material
    - info material for TLDP stands
    - TLDP business cards (Poet had some prototyped once)

>>Do note: I am not trying to oust current leader.
>>rather I am trying to realise what I believe are
>>needed
>>improvements by suggestions, prototyping and getting
>>things started, as marked with asterix above.
>>Regrettably
>>I have not had the sufficient amount of time to
>>follow up
>>on initial work and proposals but have had great
>>help from
>>Emma Jane Hogbin and others in a number of cases.
>
> Sure. So does  Tabatha, Greg,  Machtelt Garrels, David
> and innumerous authors and volunteers who have done
> excellent work in the past and continue to do so.

Indeed; I am not detracting from anyone's hard work.

>>I believe we can accomplish all this without a
>>foundation.
>>We still need to think more on where we are going
>>and how
>>we want to do it.
>>

> We sure need author, more documents, less outdated
> stuff and all that and yes it can be accomplished
> without a foundation but I believe that having one
> would be very helpful but I dont know how hard it is
> or whether others consider it an improvement worth the
> effort.

That is the question.

We should not underestimate the work required to set up
a foundation and also running it.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen