discuss: Getting Linux Help HOWTO -- revised

Subject: Re: Getting Linux Help HOWTO -- revised
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jun 2004 21:31:56 -0000

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 06:28:29PM -0400, Ray Benjamin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got some very valuable feedback from the first round of reviews of
> this document.  I am still working on gathering information for some of
> the suggested changes, so this still isn't a finished version of the
> document.  It's still very much a working draft.

I don't think it should state that emphasis is on IRC.  I think it
should cover all means of getting help (including IRC).  I didn't see
searching posts on mailing lists and newsgroups such as Google's groups.

Also, users of the text versions (or lynx users) can't see the
screenshots so perhaps there shouldn't be any screenshots.  You can show
the text of the screenshots in just plain text format (inside <pre> tags in html).

Where is mention of man -k or apropos for searching man-page short
descriptions?  Also, one can search the list of distribution packages
which includes a brief description of each package (use grep or an
editor).  This is good to use if you wonder: what package do I need to
do x?  There may be a few different packages which all do x and then how
do you decide which to get/use?