discuss: An HP doc for TLDP

Subject: RE: An HP doc for TLDP
From: "Greg Porter" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jun 2004 00:46:29 -0000

I see your point, so let me tell you a little more about why I wrote it.
I basically offered it up as a companion to the LDP document
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HP-HOWTO/index.html

I 'inherited' some old cranky HP servers, and I wanted to put linux on
them.  I found that the HP firmware was proprietary, and not well
documented.  An especially daunting problem was the process by which you
update the firmware.  This is important, because later revisions of
firmware recognize newer peripherals, or allow running a 64 bit OS.  As
I wandered around on the web, I saw that there were quite a few people
asking "How to?" but few places that said "Like this".

The next rev of the document will have a chapter on updating the
firmware using freely available tools and OSes.

I certainly can make changes to the doc to remove HP-UX references.  I
tried in this version to be linux friendly, but not linux specific.
Perhaps that was a mistake.

Thanks for you feedback and regards,

Greg