discuss: HOWTO about small&silent servers

Subject: Re: HOWTO about small&silent servers
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 22 Jun 2004 21:29:55 -0000

Christian Schnobrich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> recently I exchanged a few mails with someone who used an Athlon 1800
> for his Internet gateway and wondered how to make it less noisy... in
> the process, I spilled out lots of text and wonder if I should turn it
> into a HOWTO.

That is more or less how I came to write my HOWTO.

> I guess the starting point for most people is to share an Internet
> connection for several boxes. Whether they start with fli4l or skip it
> right away: once there is a box running 24/7, there's a certain
> temptation to add more services.

Some notes on security is definitely in place as temptations increase.

> The document will cover three main aspects:
> a) how much CPU power / RAM / disk space will be necessary to run a
> certain service (in other words: will my old box suffice)

Some perusing of existing HOWTOs gave me a surprise: the HP HOWTO
includes a section called "Solutions and Sizing", a topic I feel
warrants a far wider exposure than a section within a HOWTO that
does not indicate the gems hidden.

I feel solution and sizing should be a separate HOWTO. Comments?

> b) an overview of old hardware and possible issues
> c) how to make it more silent, mostly centered on keeping the harddisk
> powered down and a few other tricks of the trade
>
> Well, now... does anyone think there is demand for such a HOWTO?

Judging by the recent interest in silent computers I would say yes.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen