discuss: LSM in Bordeaux

Subject: Re: LSM in Bordeaux
From: ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jun 2004 23:28:41 -0000

Hello everybody!

Forgive me to be so late to answer this message. I had only a glimpse of
the discussion it was covering, so please forgive me if I misunderstood
some points it was mentioning.

Le 2004-06-17 12:20:33 -0500, Machtelt Garrels écrivait :

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> > If we are lucky we'll also see the French and the German LDP who have been
> > following "unilateral policies". Maybe we will have a chance to invite
> > them to join us ?

> I didn't put in that, though.  But I agree that we should try to unite and
> we should get rid of the "dead" French and German sites that we link to.
> Possibly if we back them up, that will be an incentive to keep those
> sites alive.

I am from the French project Traduc.org (http://traduc.org). One part
of this project is the French translation of the LDP Howto and Guides. I
am in charge of coordinating this part of the project.

I believe our project ought to be listed in the "translation effort"
page (http://www.tldp.org/vlist.html#te). Strangely, the head of our
project (Joel Bernier) is listed as the coordinator of the French
translation effort (the coordinator should be me), but the listed
website is "fr.tldp.org" (instead of our own website:
http://traduc.org).

As it has already been said, fr.tldp.org is quite dead, and has been
dead for some time. Our project, on the contrary, is going quite well.
(BTW, for the moment, with our consent, fr.tldp.org is mirroring our
translation work.)

I don't believe we follow any unilateral policy (I don't quite
understand this remark - I guess it was probably aimed at the official
French TLDP project). We urge our translators to be in touch with the
upstream authors (and they do it quite well: some of our translators are
now associate authors for some of the howto they have translated ^_^)
and we try to give you feedback when we have the opportunity to do so.

If you are not satisfied with the way we are working on translations, we
would be more than happy to discuss that with you and to listen to any
suggestion you may have.

Some members of our team will likely be present in Bordeaux (I won't be
there unfortunately), and we will be happy to meet you there. I'd be
very happy to discuss via e-mail how we can improve the way we work
together.

I think it would be fair to list us as a French international effort,
but, well, that's your decision :)

--
Jean-Philippe Guérard
HOWTO French translation coordinator