discuss: proper escaping required was [ Re: docbookx.dtd needs work? ]

Subject: Re: proper escaping required was [ Re: docbookx.dtd needs work? ]
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jun 2004 17:27:59 -0000

"Martin A. Brown" ####@####.#### schrieb am 19.06.04 05:41:05:

> Hi Chris,

Hi Martin,

>  [ I normally follow you pretty well (I think), but I'm quite
>    confused by this message. ]

Thanks for trying to help me with that. :-)

>  : In order to get the backslash \ as a real backslash in HTML, I
>  : had to change every "&" to a "\" in the SGML file! That is,
>  : replace the entity with the character it represents!  This is
>  : exactly the opposite of the advise given here - and of common
>  : sense, actually!
>  :
>  : Why?
>
> I don't see any XML or SGML entities in this sentence.  I see an
> absolutely literal
>
>   Its \traceon command gives you what \tracingall
>
> in the DocBook source.

Exactly. And this is exactly my problem! I *must* write the literal backslash "\" istead of its entity "& bsol ;"  in the SGML file, although this goes against logic (now I see why you were confused, sorry! I should have written  "bsol" and not "amp" in certain places!).

So let me try to explain it again, I hope with the right words this time! ;-)

If I write "& bsol ; something" in my SGML file (because I want to see it displayed as "\something" in my browser), then this becomes in the HTML file: "& amp ; bsol ; something"!  It looks as if Openjade (maybe guided by the stylesheets...) replaces the starting ampersand of the backslash entity "& bsol ;" to its entity again (i.e. replaces the starting "&" with "& amp ;" in "& bsol ; something",  giving "& amp ; bsol ; something". Now this results in a displayed string "& bsol ; something", because the browser will take the "& amp ;" in "& amp ; bsol ; something" and replace it with a "&". And this is of course wrong, because I want to see a displayed "\something".

Again, in all the above, just take out the blanks in the strings to get the ones I really mean.

I hope it's clear this time.

I am suspecting the HTML stylesheets I use. Maybe it's some setting wrong there. If you really want to check them, see here

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/dsssl-stylesheets.html

and have a look at the HTML stylesheets there. Note that I have *not* modified the standard Norman Walsh stylesheets (I use v. 1.78 from SuSE 9.0), but rather I have put any changes I wanted to make in the lyxtox-* stylesheets that you will find in the above link. Thus, you have complete information on my settings.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

--
Regards