discuss: proper escaping required was [ Re: docbookx.dtd needs work? ]

Subject: Re: proper escaping required was [ Re: docbookx.dtd needs work? ]
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jun 2004 03:40:48 -0000

Hi Chris,

 [ I normally follow you pretty well (I think), but I'm quite
   confused by this message. ]

 : http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/tex-errors.html
 : It's just a HTML page created through DocBook.

Right--and I grabbed the source you indicated....

 : Now look at that text there:
 : -----
 : Its \traceon command gives you what \tracingall offers,
 : -----

....and then I found this text.

 : In order to get the backslash \ as a real backslash in HTML, I
 : had to change every "&" to a "\" in the SGML file! That is,
 : replace the entity with the character it represents!  This is
 : exactly the opposite of the advise given here - and of common
 : sense, actually!
 :
 : Why?

I don't see any XML or SGML entities in this sentence.  I see an
absolutely literal

  Its \traceon command gives you what \tracingall

in the DocBook source.

 : Because if I leave it as "& amp ; tracingall" and "& amp ;
 : traceall" in the SGML file, the resulting HTML file has the first
 : ampersand replaced by the ampersand entity, resulting in "& amp ;
 : amp ; tracingall" and "& amp ; amp ; traceall"  in the HTML file,
 : which are consequently displayed as "& amp ; tracingall" and "&
 : amp ; traceall" respectively!

Wouldn't &amp;traceall in your DocBook be presented in an output
format as follows:

    HTML:    &amp;traceall
    text:    &traceall

I'm confused about your references to \ and &.

 : (I have inserted blanks in the strings above, because otherwise
 : my webmail application would replace the entities with the
 : ampersands and it would be a complete mess!)

Understood.

 : Why is the first "&" in "& amp ;"  transformed again in its
 : entity by Openjade? Is it any entry in the stylesheets that
 : causes this?

I'd imagine you aren't wondering why the HTML output entity is &amp;
but I'm not sure what you are wondering.

  [ snipped ]

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- Wonderfrog Enterprises --- ####@####.####