discuss: proper escaping required was [ Re: docbookx.dtd needs work? ]

Subject: Re: proper escaping required was [ Re: docbookx.dtd needs work? ]
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jun 2004 15:05:42 -0000

"Martin A. Brown" ####@####.#### schrieb am 18.06.04 12:43:34:

> right in the middle of your url.  Try replacing the ampersand with
> the built-in entity for the ampersand:  &

I have a similar problem and I am going to use this thread to ask for assistance:

Look at

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/tex-errors.html

It's just a HTML page created through DocBook.

Now look at that text there:

-----
Its \traceon command gives you what \tracingall offers,
-----

In order to get the backslash \ as a real backslash in HTML, I had to change every "&" to a "\" in the SGML file! That is, replace the entity with the character it represents!  This is exactly the opposite of the advise given here - and of common sense, actually!

Why?

Because if I leave it as "& amp ; tracingall" and "& amp ; traceall" in the SGML file, the resulting HTML file has the first ampersand replaced by the ampersand entity, resulting in "& amp ; amp ; tracingall" and "& amp ; amp ; traceall"  in the HTML file, which are consequently displayed as "& amp ; tracingall" and "& amp ; traceall" respectively!

(I have inserted blanks in the strings above, because otherwise my webmail application would replace the entities with the ampersands and it would be a complete mess!)

Why is the first "&" in "& amp ;"  transformed again in its entity by Openjade? Is it any entry in the stylesheets that causes this?

You can download the SGML file from

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/mySGML.sgml

or with images from

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/mySGML-sgml.tar.gz

and try to render it. You should pass

-i output.print.png

to Openjade for the correct image formats to be included  (see

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/explain-figures.html

for the explanation).

Any hints much appreciated.

--